Tuesday, March 9, 2010

National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day - March 10th



All women need to know about the human immunodeficiency (IH-myoo-noh-dif-FISH-uhn-see) virus, or HIV. HIV causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS, a disease that weakens the body’s ability to fight infection and certain cancers. Having unprotected sex is the main way HIV is spread. It also is spread through injection drug use or from mother to baby during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding.

Every 35 minutes, a woman tests positive for HIV in the United States. More and more women have become infected with HIV since it was first reported in the early 1980s. Today, about 1 in 4 Americans living with HIV are women. It’s time for women to get tested.

The statistics are alarming. But there is good news. Taking some simple steps can protect women from getting HIV — or prevent women from passing it to others, including their children. Also, while there is no cure yet, many women with HIV and AIDS are living longer and stronger lives thanks to a number of new treatments. A wide variety of government resources also are in place to help people living with HIV.

Testing positive
Testing positive for the HIV can bring a range of emotions, such as panic, fear, and anger. But many HIV-positive women find that after some time, they are able to manage their condition and live life to its fullest. If you have just tested positive for HIV, don't give up hope. See Living with HIV/AIDS to help you find a doctor and the support services you will need. Keep in mind, there are people who care about you and want to help you, even if you have no insurance or money. You don't have to go through this alone.

Resources

Aids.gov

The Red Pump Project

WomensHealth.gov

1 comment:

sandra able said...

HIV is a terrible disease, if not for my Husband and the help of the great DR.OKOROM my life would have been a mess! I was diagnosed with HIV in 2005, my husband encouraged me, and told me not to lose hope, I manage to give birth to a baby Boy who was free from the disease, and my Husband was always there for me! One day he came to me and told me that he have found a man who can cure me. Base on scientist, they said there is no cure for HIV; he told me that he has seen many testimonies about him on the internet. We decided to contact him, we filled his Herbal home form, and he asked us to buy some items which we did! Three days later he asked me to go for HIV test, faithfully I went to do the Test, Lo and Behold, I was cured, the virus was not found in my Body... My Dear Husband and my Father DR.OKOROM, God will surely bless the both of you, till the end of time, in Jesus name.. If you have any problem kindly contact he on dr.okoromspellhome@live.com